The essential oil of lavender is one of many natural and pharmaceutical products available for treating burns. It is my treatment of choice, and has been the treatment of choice for a number of people since the ancient Egyptians, if not before.
Recently, a friend emailed me to ask what essential oil I might recommend for first and second degree burns on his face. He had been out burning tree branches, when he became careless and got too close.
People who have studied essential oils for any length of time have learned that the highest choice for burns of any kind is a pure, therapeutic grade lavender essential oil.
A therapeutic grade of lavender essential oil is made up of over a hundred different compounds that do more than just help with burns.
1. One of these compounds has analgesic (pain relieving) properties.
2. Another compound in lavender gives it antiseptic properties.
3. Some medical doctors - mostly in Europe and Ecuador - also use lavender to prevent scarring.
4. The bottom line is that the constituents in lavender oil have many healing properties.
How to Use It
There are a number of ways to use lavender essential oil on such a burn, and here are three ways that come to mind first.
1. Diluting therapeutic grade lavender essential oil (Lavandula angustifolia) with a high quality, organic vegetable oil 50:50 and applying it on the burn.
2. With therapeutic grade lavender essential oil, some people would not dilute it at all.
3. Putting therapeutic grade lavender essential oil in a spray bottle with purified water and spritz on.
Before you go out and buy the first bottle of lavender essential oil that you can find, there are two extremely important cautions you should know about, because there are two types of "lavender" oils that can make burns WORSE.
1. Lavender that has been adulterated with synthetic chemicals. This includes the "lavender" that says "pure" on the label, but according to U.S. law, might have as little as 5% lavender and who knows what else as the other 95%.
2. Lavandin that has been labeled as lavender, or even mixed with lavender. Lavandin, because of its camphor content, will make burns worse!
If you or someone you love gets a bad burn, therapeutic grade lavender essential oil is one choice. For more free tips and tools on using essential oils, I invite you to visit
http://www.EssentialOilsLady.com and click on Newsletter or Resources.
This article is written with the assumption that my readers are using only therapeutic grade essential oils, and that they and their health care professional consult with the Essential Oils Desk Reference. And when you're ready to get started using essential oils, I invite you to visit
http://www.EssentialOilsProducts.com and look for the Essential 7 Kit, which contains lavender essential oil.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Kathryn_Caywood